Thursday 11 December 2008

Blogging, Buddies & Christmas Boxes



Sparx has been very kind awarding me this, well, award. Thank you Sparx, it was a lovely boost to my battered little self.

I love the Blogging world for it's friendliness, it has led me to people I click with and laugh with. I read things that make me howl with laughter and sometimes this leads to hour long conversations on the phone, while consuming copious amounts of wine! I shant name names..

Frog in the Field has been very busy, even for this time of year, and I've not had time to blink let alone blog, but as the cattle have escaped this morning (yes we got up at 3am!), and Fruitcake alerted us with that stupid bark that makes all her feet leave the floor at once, I thought, to heck with it, I shall write a post and damn the consequences!

Yesterday I was a little concerned, and I'd appreciate some comments on this...yes, another true story!
I had an order for a small item for a child, and it was to be sent to a lady whose surname was 'Bilevych'.....now, I love Spoonerisms as much as the next person, but am I just being overly suspicious?

This week we played 'I spy'(we really know how to live), as we often do and daughter number three is now getting quite good at it. All this going to school makes the game far less funny. It used to be along the lines of 'something beginning with 't'
Daughter number three: 'house?'
But not any more.
Me:'I spy with my litle eye, something beginning with 'f'
Daughter number three: 'hmm....um' she looked thoughtfully round the kitchen.. 'um, I'm not allowed too say the swear word am I Mummy?'
OHMYGOD!!

Ah, and news on the new position as Chair for school Friends committee.
I was asked to Chair the AGM because the gentleman who was to take the last meeting was unwell, and as I was then Vice-Chair, it was my duty to stand in.
No pressure, just a new Head, only the AGM, and erm, no notes to work from.
It was all very pleasant with canapes, wine and polite conversation.
I had to improvise big time....didn't have a clue what to do or say and the inner Frog was screaming 'arghh!!!!!', while outer Frog remained cool and composed and inserted plenty of polite intervals between matters, while I frantically sifted through old minutes trying to work out what the hell I should be saying.
I think it went rather well!
(Cue the corkscrew!)
And in my new role as Chair, I like to think I'm on top of things...apart from emailing a fashion agent in Blackheath with numbers of tables booked for the ball, instead of a parent in Monmouthshire with the same first name, everything is under control!!

And of course we're all looking forward to Christmas here.

Bets are being taken on this years offerings from Shirl.
Here's a shortlist of favourite presents from her in past years:
A pot of honey
Terrys Chocolate Orange (4 years out of date) - no, I am not exaggerating.
Chocolates from the Tobacco Warehouse (chocolates inside were not the ones on the carton).
a vacuum she won in a competition.

I'm so terribly excited!

14 comments:

Teena Vallerine said...

spoonerism or no, the joke would be on them since it's the name at the top of their mail! most unfortunate if it is a genuine name - would you marry that man?!
re. out of date terry's orange - it's the only way to have them - they are unspeakably vile and I've never had on in the house that didn't go out of date!
t.xx

Potty Mummy said...

The chocolates that weren't from where the box said they were; where WERE they from? (And I bet you're oh-so-surprised that I asked a chocolate related question, aren't you?)

Frog in the Field said...

They were from there, they were just rejects/seconds I guess.
I keep them in the filing cabinet filed under rap with a silent c.

Gone Back South said...

Could I enter the Shirl sweepstake? My money's on:
- A small jar of humbugs
- 4 coasters featuring scenes from Devon
- A packet of biscuits, broken
- A dead mouse

Iota said...

I love the picture of the bark that lifts all four feet off the ground.

And Bilevych... suspicious, yes.

Catherine said...

'Bilevych'? Never heared of that one!

Imagine being sick at Christmas, all because of a 5 yr old Chocolate Orange - did you know they use pine oil and not orange oil at all?

Mean Mom said...

Shirl's got some strange ideas about Christmas presents, hasn't she? What do you give to her? You should ask for suggestions, on your blog!

How about a half empty bottle of her favourite tipple, or why not wrap up the old chocolate orange and give it back?

Housewifeinthehighlands said...

Shirl puts me in mind of the embarassing sister in Keeping up Appearances. The one with the boyfriends and short skirts.

It is wonderful in a way how the sad occasions in life are often humorous in their own way. I am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm in awe of anyone who becomes chair of the school Friends... good for you.

And yes, a bottle of wine helps...

Millennium Housewife said...

Husband and I were doubled over at the I spy bit, fantastic stuff Froggy MH

Anonymous said...

You must be brave to chair a committee like that. I wouldn't dream of doing it but I'm a softie!

I think I'd still eat the chocolate orange though.

CJ xx

Jo Beaufoix said...

Blimey, I need a glass/bottle of wine after reading that. Maybe you should give some to the cows and then they'd be too wobbly to escape, and you could put some very nice alcoholic milk on your muesli to start the day with a smile.

Well done on the chairing. That would have scared the pants off me. And we played 'I Spy' yesterday. We're still at the 'something beginning with trump' stage. The 'f' thing is hilarious though. I blame the parents. ;D

Sparx said...

You're welcome Froglet, you overachiever you - chasing cows AND playing I spy. Our cow climbed a 5-foot wall once, they are very good at escaping, cows.

Merry Yule, I look forward with a gossip's ear for your post-Christmas revelations...

Dottie said...

I too live in the country with three children, but no cows, and the horses in the field next door do NOT belong to me, whatever they themselves think. Love you experience of I-Spy. Wee Murdo is only 5, so competing with Alex (almost 15) and Innes (13) is hard for him, but hilarious. His Grumpy face is so easily banished by someone shouting "underpants". Oh, the laffs we have...
Happy New Year!